|Address:||Technology and Engineering, Porterfield Road, Renfrew, Scotland PA4 8DJ|
|Telephone:||0141 886 4141|
|Fax:||0141 885 3338|
|Contact:||Mr F J Hancock, Principal Engineer NDT Technology, Direct Tel: 0141 885 3894; Direct Fax: 0141 885 3700|
|NDT Methods:||E - Electromagnetic General|
|E1 - Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI)|
|E2 - Magnetic Flux Leakage methods|
|E3 - Eddy Current Testing|
|EC - Erosion/Corrosion|
|LE - Leak Testing|
|LP - Liquid Penetrant Inspection|
|O1 - Visual Inspection|
|O3 - Laser-based inspection|
|O4 - Thermography|
|R - Radiography General|
|R1 - Radioscopy|
|R2 - Neutron Radiography|
|S - Stress Measurement|
|U - Ultrasonic General|
|U1 - Ultrasonic Flaw Detection and Sizing|
|U2 - Ultrasonic Thickness Gauging|
|Z - Other methods|
|Description:||With over 30 years' experience and 40 permanent staff based at Renfrew, Doosan Babcock provides services that encompass the full breadth of technology transfer, from research and development to the design and manufacture of specialised equipment and systems to providing site application. Its worldwide reputation is based on providing high-quality, high-integrity inspection, always with an eye to practical application.|
The capability includes:
Doosan Babcock is accredited by UKAS and SWEDAC for automated UT inspections and by UKAS for manual UT, MT and PT inspections.
- conventional and specifically developed ultrasonic and eddy current techniques (TOFD/phased array);
- automated ultrasonic (MIPS/GUIDE) and eddy current inspections;
- inspection qualification, including technical justification (ASME/ENIQ);
- procedure and equipment validation;
- inspection of austenitic and duplex welds;
- inspection of complex geometry components;
- defect fingerprinting, characterisation and sizing using semi-automated equipment;
- high-temperature ultrasonic inspection;
- fitness-for-purpose inspections;
- provision of ISI services;
- use of novel solutions, including the 'swimming' robot AIRIS, to provide ISI services to remote and difficult to access areas within NPP plant;
- laser scanning to generate 3D as-built models of plant;
- panoramic imaging;
- offshore inspection services, including TOFD and laser scanning.
Doosan Babcock offers NDT consultancy covering:
In addition, a range of consultancy services is offered to operators who wish to implement condition-based maintenance strategies. Development and implementation of risk-based strategies for inspection and maintenance programmes is also available.
- advice on inspection problems;
- feasibility studies;
- independent third-party review of inspection procedures;
- group sponsored projects;
- computer modelling of inspection capability;
- design for inspection;
- NDT equipment evaluation;
- strategies for fitness-for-purpose inspections and re-validation;
- inspection qualification;
- risk-based and non-invasive inspection.
Services associated with assessing the condition of plant and predicting the remaining life of critical components include:
Doosan Babcock also carries out R&D in the fields of manual, semi-automated and fully-automated ultrasonic and eddy current methods. Specialist areas include: ultrasonic inspection of austenitic and duplex welds; development of ultrasonic and eddy current inspection techniques for difficult geometries and materials; phased array ultrasonics; hot ultrasonic inspection; TOFD technique; high-reliability computer-controlled fully-automated ultrasonic inspections; inspection qualification; computer modelling of inspection capability; consultancy; troubleshooting; and group sponsored projects.
- All Plant: a range of techniques is used to determine the condition of equipment, including thermography, metallography, visual inspection (camera, fibroscope) and performance benchmarking.
- Rotating Machinery and Pipework Systems: for monitoring services, ranging from setting up databases and classifying machinery through to taking measurements and carrying out analysis and diagnostics.
- High-Temperature Plant: remanent life assessment using replication techniques to evaluate creep fatigue damage. On-site services are backed up by metallurgical and chemical analysis facilities.
|Affiliations & Approvals:||Service Inspection Group (SIG) Member (BINDT)|